photo greener grass logo new_zpsew0enxyv.png  photo stitches copy_zpsp3oydyai.png

 photo about_zpshba0art5.png  photo shop_zps24sfyl5o.png  photo workshops_zpsycwnndbh.png  photo craft parties_zps5jskxbkf.png  photo tutorials_zpscfm8kqak.png  photo contact_zpsfhv565sj.png

This is SO Granola.

A few days ago, I went to one of our local farmer's markets to pick up some tomatoes. I took my reusable shopping bags and I wore my holey jeans. I hadn't showered and my hair was all a mess. I felt very "granola" and cool.

In honor that moment of coolness, I give you my favorite granola recipe. It will make you feel very cool and earthy to make your own granola. Trust me.

Mixed Berry Granola


Ingredients picture, a la Pioneer Woman. You can see her cookbook there in the background if you look really hard. Loving you, PDub.

Ingredients:

6 cups uncooked regular oats
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup sunflower kernels
1/2 cup copped pecans
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup honey
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Vegetable cooking spray
1 1/2 cups chopped mixed dried fruit

For the record, I use a few tablespoons of extra honey to get the everything to stick together a little better. I use mixed dried berries for my dried fruit (cranberries, cherries, raisins, etc) but you can use anything your heart desires. I don't want you to limit the potential of your granola on my account. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

Another note: Don't fear the wheat germ! Go buy it. Put it in your granola. I was afraid of the germ. I thought it might be alive, like yeast, but it is not. It is just a poorly named part of the wheat plant that is really good and good for you.

Here what you do:

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Combine the first 9 ingredients in your biggest,  pinkest bowl using your pink spatula. Or if you are trying to be really "granola," you can use a paper bag and a stick for your mixing purposes.

I kid. I kid.

This makes a lot of granola, FYI.  About 7 1/2 cups. I always give a lot away.


Spread the mixture on 2 pans coated with cooking spray. I like to line my pans with foil for easy clean up. I know that's not very "granola", but that's what I do.


Bake for 25-30 minutes. While the granola is in the oven, it needs to be stirred 3 times. So about every 8 minutes, take it out of the oven and turn the granola with a large spatula to help the oats brown evenly.

Your house is going to smell really good.

Try not to step on these two during all your cooking antics. They don't want to be bothered with your granola nonsense.


Remove the granola from the oven and let it cool.

When the mixture is completely cool, add the dried fruit.


YUM! Doesn't that look great? It is delicious and hearty and healthy. David takes it to school with him every morning.

The recipe makes so much, as I mentioned before, that I put a lot of it in mason jars and give it away. Fiber was meant to be gifted. It lets people know how much you really care.

Mixed Fruit Granola can be stored in an airtight container for several weeks. We eat it over vanilla yogurt or use it as cereal. It is the breakfast of champions.

Be granola. Give the gift of fiber.
Melissa


3 comments:

  1. I hope there is some there when I get there tonight! Yum!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SueAnne- I should have sent some home with you! So sorry :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to try this. Yours looks like it turned out great. The one time I tried to make granola it got overly cooked so it wasn't very good.

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips