photo greener grass logo new_zpsew0enxyv.png  photo stitches copy_zpsp3oydyai.png

 photo about_zpshba0art5.png  photo shop_zps24sfyl5o.png  photo workshops_zpsycwnndbh.png  photo craft parties_zps5jskxbkf.png  photo tutorials_zpscfm8kqak.png  photo contact_zpsfhv565sj.png

What's in a Name?

Well, a mere two weeks into blogging and we've decided to make a major change. We are going to change the name of the blog. Let me tell you why.

When I first starting thinking about blogging, we brainstormed names for weeks...maybe months. It was David who finally came up with "A Homemade Life." I loved it immediately. It was perfect and had a nice ring to it. I would be blogging about our home improvement projects, crafts, recipes, etc. It seemed like a good fit. I committed and started the blog.

One week into blogging, I realize why I liked the name so much. I have heard it before. There is a very recently published book, which is now a New York Times Bestseller, by this very same name.




by Molly Wizenberg, Camilla Engman (Illustrator)
 
Way to go, Mel! Why didn't you just name your blog The Pioneer Woman?
 
I know that this book was somewhere in my subconscious. I had heard of it and wanted to read it. But when we started the blog, it was nowhere on my radar. Molly Wizenberg writes an amazing food blog, called Orangette, and recently opened a restaurant in Seattle called Delancey. She is a big deal.
 
Needless to say, Ms. Wizenberg is not at all concerned with my little blog here. She is not threatening legal actions against me and my 8 "followers," but once I made the connection in my pea sized mind I knew I wanted to change things. I do not want to take credit for something that is not mine or for anyone to wrongly think that I am in any way connected to this fine book.
 
All that said, we will be changing the name of "A Homemade Life" tonight.
 
When we decided that we needed to change the name, I knew exactly what we should call the blog.

Greener Grass 

I've had a a little closed down etsy store by that same name for several years and I hope to be opening that gal back up soon. More than that, though, Greener Grass seems to be a more accurate description of what this (2 week old) blog is about.
More than talking about what kind of food or crafts I make or what kind of home improvement projects we tackle, I hope this blog is about the little things that make us happy everyday. I hope it's about finding greener grass right here in our own pasture. Our fixer upper will not be fixed up for a very long time. Our lives are not perfect and we could easily spend our days wishing that things were different and bargaining that we will be really happy when...fill in the blank...happens.

I want to be really happy right now, not one day far off. Sure there are things that we want to have and do one day, but we try to be content in all the days that lead up to those, too.

My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
Psalm73:26

We are striving to be content with our portion.

Even in these short two weeks, it has been so much fun to share our adventures with you. I look forward to writing each post and it encourages me look for the good in a boring or busy or even a bad day. It feels like we are all sitting around the supper table and I get to tell you what we've been up to. Thanks for reading. Thanks for your encouragement and support as we try something new.

So all that to say, don't be alarmed when you come back (if you come back...please come back!) tomorrow and the name of the blog is different. It's still us.

The greener grass is right here.
Melissa


P.S. "Before" pictures of the house are coming tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. I'm the great writer?! You are AWESOME! I adore your blogs and the special gift of sweetness you have in your life.... You have inspired me to start my own!! :) It will make it's official "debut" soon! Hugs! Oh & the new name is perfect!! OH... AND I can't wait for you to start your etsy shop again!!! I can't get enough of that website! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. I came across your blog while doing a search on - Molly W's book. I just got the book, and it looks good enough to eat. I am sure I am going to love it - I have a feeling. I like your new name. Everyone can do with a bit of grass that is greener. Cheers. :)

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips