photo greener grass logo new_zpsew0enxyv.png  photo stitches copy_zpsp3oydyai.png

 photo about_zpshba0art5.png  photo shop_zps24sfyl5o.png  photo workshops_zpsycwnndbh.png  photo craft parties_zps5jskxbkf.png  photo tutorials_zpscfm8kqak.png  photo contact_zpsfhv565sj.png

Basic Sewing Supplies- Everything You Need to Get Started!

Anyone who has ever been in a fabric store knows that there are aisles and aisles of notions, tools, and supplies. It can be a bit overwhelming to navigate through it all to figure out what is necessary and what isn't. At the beginning of my sewing classes, I give each student a list of basic sewing supplies that they'll need. I love love love doing this because it reminds me of elementary school supply lists and going to pick out new crayons and pencils. Who doesn't enjoy picking out new supplies?

Anyway, the things I recommend for class are just a nice basic set of sewing tools that are really everything you NEED (in addition to a sewing machine!) as a beginning "sew-ist,"so I thought I'd share it with you today. Of course, as you learn more and discover what kind of things you like to sew, you can add to your arsenal of supplies accordingly.

::The Basics::

Sewing Supplies Learn to Sew Sewing 101 Basic Sewing

Fabric Scissors or Dressmaker's Shears- Invest in a good pair of fabric scissors and protect them at all costs! Only use them on fabric, because paper will dull the blades so that they won't cut fabric any more. It's a good idea to buy fabric scissors that are a different color than other scissors in your house. David kindly remembers not to use any scissors with blue handles. If you have kids, you'll probably need a good hiding spot.  

Hand Sewing Needles- Some projects require a bit of hand sewing to finish up. These are also useful to have for sewing on buttons and adding special details to your work.

Basic White Thread-It's always good to have. You'll accumulate different colored threads from projects, but white almost always works in a pinch.

Fabric Marker or Pencil- These special markers have ink that disappears with water. I use one all the time for drafting directly on fabric.

Hem Gauge- This is essentially just a small ruler, but it's used to create even hems. It's really convenient for sewing clothes and I use it on almost every project to make sure my edges are nice and straight. I like mine because you can mark your hem width for easy reference. 

Measuring Tape- A must have for making clothes...It also makes you feel very professional when you hang it around your neck.

Seam Ripper- Oh how you will use the seam ripper. It's the eraser for all of your sewing mistakes. I hate to use it, but I'm so glad I have it. 

Ball Head Pins and Pin Cushion- I like long pins, like these, because they're easy to grab quickly as I'm sewing.

Small Scissors- Having another set of small scissors will make your life easier. Keep these beside your sewing machine to clip all of those dang threads! Often you can buy fabric scissors and these small detail scissors as a set



In addition to those tools, the only other essential is a good iron. If you haven't done much sewing before, you may be surprised to learn that there is A LOT of ironing involved! The iron is used to "glue" fabric together before you sew and to finish seams to make a project look crisp and finished, among other things. Don't worry... it's not like ironing laundry. Promise. 

::Not Necessities, But Really Nice to Have::



If you do a good bit of sewing, I highly recommend investing in a rotary cutter, ruler, and self healing mat. I didn't have one for a very long time and then my mom got me one for Christmas a few years ago. I can never go back! These can be a bit expensive, but they regularly go on sale at JoAnn's or it would be a good use of your 50% off coupon. 

The Purl Bee has a great tutorial for using a rotary cutter HERE.

::Storage::

If you are just starting out sewing and have the basic supplies I've mentioned here (and even a few more) a cute sewing basket may be perfect for you. 



But friends, for serious sewing tool storage, you simply can not beat the fishing tackle box. Trust me. 

The compartments are just the right size, everything is visible- no digging around and getting stabbed with pins, and it closes up tight to be perfectly portable with no spilling. 


My love for tackle box organization runs deep. When I was a little tot I stored all of my art supplies in a tackle box that my dad gave me. Evidently I'm not the only one who knows its merits, because the same company who makes fishing tackle boxes sells the same box (only it's purple) at craft stores for this very purpose! 

What it lacks in looks it makes up for in practicality. 
Like a mini-van.

Hope this list is helpful in your sewing!
mel

16 comments:

  1. 1) I got an old sewing machine from my grandmother. It is certifiably an antique, I think. But maybe now with it and your list, I'll be motivated to do some learning.
    2) We, too are fans of the tackle box. My dad is a pharmacist and packed us all "medicine kits" when we left for college in ... you guessed it ... a tackle box.
    3) Don't knock the mini-van. I think mine's a beaut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ironing Service is becoming increasingly popular, possibly because ironing is one of life's most terrible tasks right next to laundry…!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The SINGER 4411 Heavy Duty Sewing Machine is a fundamental sewing machine which has carried fulfillment to a larger part of purchasers. Its ultra rapid engine is made for quick sewing, surrendering you to 1,100 lines per minute. You don't need to stress over the solidness of this sewing machine since its body is made of an uncompromising kind of metal casing, which additionally gives without skip sewing. best sewing machine for leather

    ReplyDelete
  16. The article looks magnificent, but it would be beneficial if you can share more about the suchlike subjects in the future. Keep posting. Grass supplier

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips